Name that food
Eating “Boris The Broccoli” is a lot more fun than eating plain old broccoli.
- Come up with fun, silly names for foods and encourage your kid to do the same
- Try building a story around the “food characters” you create
Dining room manager
If your child is not into being a chef, make him or her dining room manager. He or she can:
- Set the table and decorate with a special centrepiece
- Fold the napkins into shapes
- Call the family to dinner
- Announce tonight's “specials”
- Compliment the “chef”
- Help serve and clean up the table
A good way to get kids to eat their vegetables is to let them make their own mini-pizzas.
- Set up an assembly line of pizza toppings
- Include veggies cut up into different shapes
- Cook the pizzas and watch your kid share and eat his or her creation
Play with your food
Warning: This might get messy.
Up for some friendly competition? Make a meal with colourful foods and have each family member plate their food in artistic ways. Then vote for:
- Most creative
- Funniest, etc.
Kid’s choice (with a little supervision)
Let your kid create the dinner menu every once in a while.
- Have him or her pick out the ingredients
- Let him or her help prepare the meal for the family
- Eat enthusiastically, whatever it is
Grow a garden
Gardening is an educational and fun outdoor activity. You can plant flowers, fruits, vegetables, and even herbs.
- Dig, plant, and water the garden
- Identify the plants with waterproof drawings or names (if your child can write)
- Enjoy the fruits of your labour